Botox® Treatment & Services
At West Market Dental, our dental team is pleased to offer Botox injections to our patients in Calgary and the surrounding areas.
What is Botox?
Botox is a widely recognized brand of neuromodulating agents. It contains Botulinum Toxin which is a purified protein that has both cosmetic and therapeutic applications.
The Botox process involves injecting purified bacteria into areas of concern to freeze the muscle at the injection sight. When injected into the facial muscles, Botox releases neurotoxins, which prevent the muscles from contracting and help them to relax.
At West Market Dental, Dr. Peter Lam is trained in both upper and lower face Botox treatments.
Botox Treatment: What To Expect
Any questions and concerns you have will be addressed by our team before your treatment to ensure your desired results are understood.
Some people have described the injections as a mild pinch, similar to a bug bite. The injection is directed into the muscle under the skin. The needle is very fine in order to help prevent any pain, bruising, or swelling.
After your treatment, it is important to avoid certain activities for the first several hours. You must not lay down, or bend your head for a sustained period of time.
Do not touch or rub the treatment area to avoid moving the Botox and affecting other muscles. In rare cases, some people report getting headaches after a Botox injection.
- How long does a Botox treatment take, and what is involved?
Usually, a Botox treatment takes 15-25 minutes and doesn't require anesthesia. A fine needle is used to inject Botox into specific muscles, and topical anesthesia (numbing cream) may be used.
- Is Botox safe?
Our authorized prescribers are familiar with the relevant anatomy. They will employ measures associated with the safe and effective use of Botox, which includes proper storage, selection of the correct dose, and proper administration techniques. Our clinicians will provide patient-specific care and, for your safety, may inquire about any alterations to the anatomy such as prior surgical procedures.
- How long does a Botox treatment last?
Botox treatments generally last 3-5 months, depending on how the individual person metabolizes it.
- What is included with the first consultation?
During your first consultation, your dentist will conduct a comprehensive facial and/or dental assessment and recommend the optimal treatments to achieve your goals. If they conclude that Botox is right for you, your treatment appointment will be booked.
- Is there anything I should do to prepare for treatment?
Yes. Make sure to avoid alcohol starting about one week before the procedure. We also recommend that you stop taking aspirin and anti-inflammatory medications two weeks before treatment to reduce bruising.
- What are the risks associated with Botox?
Side effects from Botox are rare, and if they do occur, are typically mild and transient. They can include:
• Pain, swelling or bruising at the injection site
• Headache or flu-like symptoms
• Droopy eyelid or eyebrows
• Crooked smile or drooling
• Eye dryness or excessive tearing
If you do experience more than mild side effects that last hours to weeks after receiving Botox, call us immediately.
- Who should avoid Botox treatment?
Botox treatment should be avoided by:
• People with infection at the proposed injection site.
• People who have previously had an allergic reaction to Botulinum toxin type A injections.
• People with muscle problems or chronic diseases affecting the muscles.
• Children under the age of 18 years.
• Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- What are the recommendations for aftercare?
• Try to contract the treated muscle areas periodically for up to four hours after treatment, by frowning and lifting your eyebrows to allow the toxin to reach all of the muscles treatment is supposed to target.
• Avoid rubbing or touching the injected areas and avoid having facials and massages for 48 hours to ensure that the treatment remains at the site of injection.
• Avoid vigorous exercise and alcohol-based products on the area treated for 48 hours.
New Patients Always Welcome
We would be delighted to have your family and friends join our Calgary dental family. Get in touch to get started today.
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 11:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Tuesday: 11:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Wednesday: 11:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Thursday: 07:30 am - 03:30 pm
- Friday: 07:30 am - 03:30 pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed