Frequently Asked Questions About Invisalign
Interested in learning more about Invisalign clear aligners? Read the answers to our most frequently asked questions, or send us a new one!Request a Consultation
- What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a series of clear, custom orthodontic aligners that straighten your teeth without traditional braces.
At the start of treatment, advanced 3D computer imaging technology is used to create a treatment plan based on your individual needs.
Based on this plan, a series of custom Invisalign aligners will be made to fit your teeth precisely during each stage of your treatment process.
- How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign aligners are designed to move your teeth by small increments during your treatment. You will wear each aligner for 20 to 22 hours a day for about two weeks before you replace it with the next one in the series.
This process will continue until your teeth are in their corrected positions. The duration of your Invisalign treatment will be determined by your dentist based on your specific case.
- How long does Invisalign take?
Your dentist will determine the duration of your Invisalign treatment based on your specific needs.
Factors that may affect the length of treatment include the misalignment of your teeth or jaw, the shape of your bite, and the amount of movement required to fix the issue.
- What are Invisalign aligners made of?
Invisalign aligners are made with USP Class VI medical-grade, high molecular weight, polyurethane resins, and are BPA-free.
- How often do I have to visit the orthodontist? Because Invisalign aligners require no adjustments (you just switch to a new set of aligners every two weeks), your orthodontist will schedule brief appointments with you every four to six weeks. During these appointments, your dentist will review your progress and general oral health, answer your questions, and make changes to your treatment if necessary.
- What are the primary features of Invisalign?
Invisalign aligners are:
- Clear and discreet
- Smooth and comfortable
- Removable for eating, drinking, brushing and flossing
- Do not require regular adjustments or tightening
- How much does Invisalign cost?
The cost of Invisalign treatment depends on the severity of your case and your treatment length. The more severe the the misalignment of your bite, the more aligners you'll need and the more treatment will cost.
Ultimately, the cost of Invisalign is comparable to that of traditional orthodontic braces.
- How will Invisalign fit my lifestyle?
Most patients find that Invisalign fits very comfortably into daily life.
Since you can take them out to eat, drink, or to brush and floss your teeth, there are no dietary or oral hygiene restrictions. And because of the low-profile appearance, any impacts on your social life are very minor.
Just be sure you wear them for the required 20 to 22 hours each day.
- Are there any food or drink restrictions?
Invisalign aligners are removable so you can take them out to eat. As a result, there are no dietary restrictions, so you can continue to eat and drink everything you love!
- How many sets of aligners will I need?
The number of sets of Invisalign aligners you need will depend on the severity of your misalignment.
Only your dentist can give you an accurate estimate of how long treatment will take based on your initial appointment and examination.
- Can adults use Invisalign?
Yes! Anyone who has healthy teeth and gums is a potential candidate for Invisalign.
Many adults are undergoing orthodontic treatment these days, in large part because of low-profile options like Invisalign.
- Can teenagers use Invisalign?
Yes! Teens can certainly be candidates for Invisalign. In fact, Invisalign Teen was created to help make the orthodontic process easier for teenagers.
Invisalign Teen aligners feature compliance indicators - small blue dots that fade away after the aligners have been worn for two full weeks - to help teens stay on track with their treatment. They also feature stageable eruption tabs that provide space for second molars as they grow in.
- How often do I have to change my aligners?
Generally, patients move on to their next set of Invisalign aligners every two weeks or so. Your dentist will explain how often you should switch out your aligners in your treatment plan.
- How do I clean my aligners?
- Rinse your aligners each time you remove them. This will help to wash away dry saliva and plaque that can cause dental decay and bad breath.
- Soak your aligners using denture cleaner, Retainer Brite, and/or official Invisalign cleaning crystals.
- If you remove your aligners, brush and floss your teeth before you put them back in. This will help to remove trapped food debris and bacteria that can get stuck between your teeth and the aligner to reduce your risk of dental problems and bad breath.
- Gently brush your aligners with a clear, anti-bacterial soft soap to keep them free from harmful bacteria.
- Can I play sports with Invisalign?
You can remove Invisalign aligners to play sports so there's no need to worry about causing them any damage.
You may also want to invest in a sports mouth guard to protect your teeth during sports or other contact activities.
- Can I play my instrument with Invisalign?
Yes! You can remove your aligners to practice playing your musical instrument, and put them back in when you're done.
- How do I store my aligners?
Your Invisalign aligners will come with a case. You should store them in the case whenever you're not wearing them.
Can't find the answer you're looking for?
We'd be glad to answer any other questions you may have.
New Patients Always Welcome
We would be delighted to have your family and friends join our Calgary dental family. Get in touch to get started today.Contact Us
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 10:30 am - 07:00 pm
- Tuesday: 10:30 am - 07:00 pm
- Wednesday: 10:30 am - 07:00 pm
- Thursday: 07:30 am - 03:30 pm
- Friday: 07:30 am - 03:30 pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed